Friday, February 27, 2015

Interview of Dr. G: A Clinic of Resuscitation



The Introduction:

Dr. G, aka Gareth Hunt, was born in Manchester in 1981; where he started out at a pirate radio station named, Love NRG 99.7.  He coupled this with another music related job, he worked at the Eastern Block record store in Manchester (they had a chain of stores linked up all throughout the UK, namsayin'?). This is also when he started to build up his craft as a DJ, he did so for the next 5 to 6 years allowing him to make more contacts within the music industry in his local. He got into promotions, being a part of the Sony Street Team.
 
His nights became filled up with live DJ sets in front of crowds at the clubs with aggressive lighting that danced around the walls of the club about as many times as the snare hit the eardrums. This really began to cement his image as a growing force in Hip Hop community in the Manchester area. It only strengthened his resume as having love for music, working at a record store, being a part of the Sony Street Team, and being a DJ by night (that is 2 elements of Hip Hop right there).
 
During these years, he dusted off the ole' sneakers and moved his gear around five times a week; where he bombarded Manchester with his forming brand of Hip Hop, ya nahmean? These clubs that he frequently performed at, were usually scheduled performances with clubs that he built up a reputation with through the consistency of his performed craft. I'd imagine clubbing and being around the cubs all the time in the end kind of got a bit boring for him, namsayin'? All that work he did, all at once; he definitely put in his work. Which got him recognized (further), cause dude was no joke, ya know what I mean? Dr. G was unlocking doors in the music industry.


 
Working for the Sony Street Team, his job was to show up to various venues to hand out; flyers, stickers, and promo cds and such, namsayin'? It put him in direct contact with people and clubs in his area. Most of these places he already knew, this showed people his work ethic and willingness to start at the bottom to learn about the comings and goings of the Hip Hop game, ya know what I mean (this allowed his circle to take another jump into a higher level of significance)? His brand continued to grow as well as his knowledge into the elements of Hip Hop.
 
In hindsight, you could see that this drive that Dr. G possessed was like Man. City's will to win and it lead him places. He started meeting some big names artist-wise, Lauryn Hill, Eminem, and Destiny's Child, due to his involvement in event planning. He got backstage access too, namsayin'? He was going places that other people could only dream of (as they stared down into their pint glass filled with some lager at some pub); there wasn't much that he hasn't seen to this point. He loved music, sure, but Hip Hop was his true love, so why not take a dabble into the lyrical and start rappin' too, ya know what I mean? Da Vinci this ish, namsayin'?

That is exactly what he did, this got him into the studio too, he formed a group and they started to spit together. They were spittin' flows over beats that they put together, but this didn't really take the group anywhere- in the end. There were members in his group that got into trouble with the law, derailing many chances for them to work together (but this didn't stop Dr. G from further pursuing Hip Hop). One of the members had the studio they used in his bedroom, but that became difficult for them to use so it caused Dr. G to get his own equipment (which led him to going solo).





He bought a computer,  some software, and a microphone (now it was complete). He started making beats and associated with people that were rappin' and threw them on his tracks, this is how it all got started, nahmean? There were many kats that began to come to him for their work, kats like; Captain, Brazenface, Shotty Horroh (one of Manchester's best battle rappers), (the group) Lyrican, and Wrigley and Liquid E. He kept to the production side of things, because after having a group and seeing all the negatives to it, he felt it was better to be a lone star producer. Think about it, it's drama free, namsayin'?

Which brings us to his style of music that was built off of many different genres and sources like; soul music, progressive rock, 80s funk, and dance music. In his documentary, he states, "Anything that inspires me musically" (different music that catches his ear). He then speaks on a few of the names that stood out; Michael Jackson, Bob Marley, 2Pac, Biggie, Jay-Z, Mobb Deep, Kool G Rap, Gravediggaz, Wu Tang Clan, Dr. Dre, Snoop, and Kurupt. In the 90s, he confessed, was the time he got into Hip Hop, so the West Coast had a big influence on him. He also liked groups like, Onyx, Tribe Called Quest, and Lords of the Underground. His mom, on Christmas, bought him the "Bacdafucup" Onyx album of 1993 (a classic).

This is not just a summary of his life and where he's been and how he got here, it also leads into his interview on The Majic Show Blog. Once I heard him on the show, I knew that this was going to happen (only a matter of time). I mean, he's worked with legends like, Prodigy, Insptectah Deck, Killah Priest, Big Daddy Kane, Tragedy Khadafi, Hell Razah, and Bizzy Bone (to state a few). I mean, I hoped this would happen, so here it is, namsayin'? The interview with Dr. G...



The Interview:
(via email)

-1-
TMSB: "You seem to be really stepping your game up, working with Wu Tang and you just came out with a track with Big Daddy Kane, what was that like? That is mad respect when you are working with a legend like that..."

Dr. G: "Well it's an honor of course, I mean I been listening to them dudes ever since I found Hip Hop. They are the father's of the game and it's nice to give the young era a taste of the old school."

-2-
TMSB:  "Man you took a long road to get to where you are right now, from music listener to DJ to MC to producer, tell us a little about your days as a club DJ,  man I bet you have a few entertaining and wild times to speak of..."

Dr. G: "Yes and no, at the time, during the late 90s and 2000s, my city (Manchester) had two major gang wars going on so the club scene could be a scary place. Seeing people shooting guns off and clubs getting closed down, made it hard for us to get Hip Hop events in our city. But on the plus side, I was getting paid for my hobby and making new links and also the women, of course (haha)."

-3-
TMSB: "You also have said that you were a part of the Sony Street Team, what is that like and how did you come upon that opportunity? What made you say yes to it?"

Dr. G: "I was already doin' my own promotions at the time and my friend, DJ Sentex was running Sony Street Team, but Sentex moved to London and made me the key rep for Sony Street Manchester. It was a good paying job, really good fun, and not hard at all to hand out free music promotional items. Things like mixtapes, CDs, posters, stickers, hats, shirts, etc."

-4-
TMSB: "I have heard you speak on your influences as well, who was the one that really got you connected to this Hip Hop Game? I mean you were a DJ, an MC, and now a producer; touch on that for us please..."

Dr. G: "My friend and father figure, Sefton (Madface) Mottley. He gave me a job in a record store when I was only 14. I never finished school so when all my friends were into taking and selling drugs, I had a job and became involved in music. But musically as a fan, amm the good rappers in the 90s were my influence."

-5-
TMSB: "In the UK, many people are on that electronica dance music movement scene and you came up when both electronica and Hip Hop were in their primes, in the 90s...what made you zero into Hip Hop more than say the electronic music scene?"

Dr. G: "What Hip Hop stood for and what the rappers where saying made me feel the music more. I guess it was in my veins."

-6-
TMSB: "Your big project that is out right now is called Dr. G: The Coalition, Vol. 1...what made this project come about? And I believe it is under the Wu Tang affiliate Hell Razah Music Inc., right? And how was it like working with the line up on that one? You got more legends under your belt from this one..."

Dr. G: "Great and the coalition was way over due. I had so many tracks with rappers from the underground to mainstream/ new school to old school. So I had to do something with the songs. Plus Hell Razah is a good friend of mine. He helped me out with a lot of stuff and with my direction. So a way of paying him back was to release the tracks through his label, Hell Razah Music Inc. I try to speak to Razah as much as I can on any projects and ideas. We have an album together coming very soon, late 2015."

-7-
TMSB: " What are you trying to do in 2015 that is different from the other years? What do you have coming out that we can look forward to?"

Dr. G: "Just to keep moving and this year you will see a lot of singles form me and artists that I am working with. But I am really trying to find a new young kid to make a 90s feel EP, with."

-8-
TMSB: "Where do you plan on going in the future, what do you want the end result to be?

Dr. G: "Just to be successful and recognized in Hip Hop. Also would like to be behind the scenes teaching young kats how it's done. I am not in it for the fame, just for the love and if I become famous, then it is a bonus, I guess."

-9-
TMSB: "What can you tell all those aspiring producers and artists in regards to advice, what was the key to your success? You started at the bottom just like most of us have to..."

Dr. G: "A key is learn to listen and take chances and be inspired. And remember to love someone if they love you back. Stay humble."

10-
TMSB: "What does it take to work with Dr. G, let's say my name is MC Limestone and I want to do a track with you, what do I gotta do?"

Dr. G: "First I would tell you to change your name, MC Limestone, joke (haha). No I  mean, not much. Music can speak for itself. So if I hear someone with a  little something, then that's it really."



The Conclusion:

I'd like to thank Dr. G for taking the time out to do this interview, big ups! He's huge in this industry right now and you hear his name being floated around; this is by far the biggest interview I have ever done. On behalf of The Majic Show Blog, I thank you again. To be honest, he is a big name in Hip Hop already, to be any bigger is to be in the mainstream. Dr. G has what it takes to bring back that old school vibe into Hip Hop and I am glad he has picked that route to do so. Next up is an interview with Grand Surgeon *sharpens up his scalpel* he's on the cutting board now hehe, so stay tuned folks, namsayin'? Until next time, here's the links...

Contact:

https://soundcloud.com/dr-g-uk
https://www.facebook.com/DrGProductions
https://twitter.com/DrGProductionz

Buy the album:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-coalition-vol.-1/id931386817
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/drg36

CDs:

http://thecoalitionalbum.com/


The Majic Show
 





 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment